150% of the trip cost
Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for prepaid and non-refundable trip payments if a portion of a trip is missed, or the traveler must return home early due to unforeseen circumstances, including illness, injury, or death.
We will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Benefits, if You are prevented from continuing or resuming Your Covered Trip due to any of the Unforeseen Events listed below occurring on or after the Effective Date of the Policy.
Trip Interruption Covered Expenses
a. Forfeited, prepaid, non-refundable, and non-refunded published Payments that You paid for Your unused Land/Sea/Air Arrangements;
b. Airfare cancellation charges for flights in connection with Your Trip;
c. Additional transportation expenses incurred to reach the Return Destination. Benefits will not exceed the cost of airfare (the same class airfare on which You were originally booked) less any refunds paid or payable;
d. Additional transportation expenses incurred by You, for travel by the most direct route to:
i Your scheduled Destination if Your departure is delayed and You leave after the Scheduled Departure Date and time;
ii Rejoin Your Trip in progress from the point where You interrupted Your Trip;
iii The Return Destination of Your Trip.
Benefits payable for additional transportation expenses will not exceed the cost of airfare (the same class airfare on which You were originally booked) less any refunds paid or payable.
The following are the Unforeseen Events for Trip Interruption:
Health and Family
1. Any Injury or Sickness:
Suffered by You, Your Traveling Companion or Your or Your Traveling Companion’s Immediate Family Member, that is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to interrupt the Covered Trip or which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of Loss preventing Your continued participation in the Covered Trip;
2. Your Death or the Death of Your Traveling Companion or Your Immediate Family Member.
3. An Accidental Injury incurred by You that causes You to be medically unable to continue Your Covered Trip’s activity(ies). An actual examination by a Physician must take place and the Physician must advise You to discontinue the Trip’s activity(ies).
Transportation and Accommodation
4. A road closure causing a delay in reaching Your Destination for at least 24 hours. In order to receive benefits for the unused arrangements after the Destination is restored for use, You must have 50% of Your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the Destination becomes accessible. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days of the delaying event.
5. Strike that causes complete cessation of travel services of Your Common Carrier for at least 48 consecutive hours.
6. Bankruptcy and/or Default of Your Travel Supplier that occurs more than 14 days following the Effective Date. Coverage is not provided for the Bankruptcy or Default of the agency from whom You purchased Your Land/Sea Arrangements. Your Scheduled Departure Date must be no more than 12 months beyond the Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended Destination. This coverage only applies if the Policy was purchased within 14 calendar days of the Initial Trip Payment.
7. Inclement Weather, Natural Disasters, Terrorist Incident or the Common Carrier’s mechanical breakdown that results in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or Destination for at least 24 consecutive hours.
8. Mandatory evacuation ordered by local authorities at Your Destination due to a Natural Disaster. You must have 50% or less of Your Covered Trip remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends, in order for this benefit to be payable. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the evacuation order goes into effect.
9. Natural Disaster or documented man-made disaster at the point of departure or Your Destination that renders Your Primary Residence or the accommodations at Your Destination Uninhabitable. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the Natural Disaster.
10. Adverse weather or Natural Disaster resulting in the obstruction of public roadways or curtailment of public transportation, that prevents Your ability to arrive at Your Land/Sea/Air Arrangements.
11. You and/or Your Traveling Companion are required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, required to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided You or Your Traveling Companion are not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer.
Personal Safety and Security
12. A politically motivated Terrorist Incident within 30 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date and within 25 miles of a City listed on Your itinerary.
13. A documented theft of passports or visas. Documented means that You have reported the theft to the local authorities.
14. You and/or Your Traveling Companion are hijacked.
15. You and/or Your Traveling Companion are Quarantined.