150% of the trip cost
Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for prepaid and non-refundable trip payments if a portion of a trip is missed, or the traveler must return home early due to unforeseen circumstances, including illness, injury, or death.
We will pay you up to the maximum amount shown in the schedule of benefits for loss(es) incurred by you or your traveling companion for a covered trip interrupted after the date and time of departure due to any of the following unforeseen events:
Health and Family
a. Any injury, death, or any unforeseen serious medical condition or sickness;
1. Occurring to you, your traveling companion, a family member traveling with you or service animal, that is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to interrupt their covered trip which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a physician at the time of loss preventing your continued use of the covered trip;
2. Occurring to a family member not traveling with you that is considered life-threatening, as certified by a physician or they require your immediate care. Such disability must be so disabling as to reasonably cause a covered trip to be interrupted and must be certified by a physician;
3. Occurring to a business partner that is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to interrupt their covered trip to assume daily management of the business. Such disability must be certified by a physician;
4. Occurring to the guide/outfitter for your covered trip. The benefit applies if the guide/outfitter is the only one available for the covered trip; and the sickness or injury must be certified by a physician;
5. Sickness, injury, death or hospitalization occurring to your host at destination. A physician must certify the sickness or injury; or
6. Occurring to a childcare provider if there is no other substitute for the childcare provider. A physician must certify the sickness or injury;b. You will be attending a family member’s or surrogate mother’s childbirth. The pregnancy must occur after the effective date and must be verified by medical records;
c. You or your traveling companion have complications of pregnancy. The onset of these conditions must occur after your effective date and must be verified by medical records; and
d. You are on a list as a donor or recipient for an organ transplant and, after the effective date, receive official notification that an organ match is available for immediate transplant. The transplant must be considered medically necessary, and a physician must confirm that the transplant and/or surgery is so disabling as to prevent travel.
Transportation and Accommodation
a. You or your traveling companion are delayed due to a traffic accident while en route to your destination. The traffic accident must be substantiated by a police report;b. Strike causing cancellation or delay of your pre-arranged travel services for at least twenty-four (24) consecutive hours; that causes complete cessation of services of your common carrier for at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours;
c. Mechanical/Equipment failure of a common carrier which results in a delay of your covered trip for at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours;
d. Your owned or rented vehicle is stolen during the covered trip. The theft must be reported to local authorities within forty-eight (48) hours; and
e. Complete or partial closure of the air traffic control tower or the airport from which you are scheduled to depart. Closure must be caused by fire or a power outage, and must result in a delay of your covered trip for at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours. This does not apply to closures caused by a natural disaster or inclement weather.
a. A named hurricane making your primary residence uninhabitable or making the destination inaccessible or uninhabitable. Coverage for a hurricane applies only if insurance was purchased prior to the tropical storm first being upgraded to a hurricane. We will only pay the benefits for losses occurring within thirty (30) days after the named hurricane makes your destination uninhabitable or inaccessible;b. Weather at the departure site which causes complete cessation of services of your common carrier for at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours and prevents you from reaching your destination; and
c. The destination is placed under a hurricane warning, as issued by the NOAA hurricane center, after the departure date.
Personal Safety and Security
a. You and/or your traveling companion being hijacked, quarantined in the location where you are intending to travel, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, or required to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided you are or your traveling companion is not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer or the victim of felonious assault within ten (10) days of departure;b. You or your traveling companion are the victim of a felonious assault during the covered trip;
c. Theft of passports, travel documents, or visas specifically required for your covered trip within fourteen (14) days of the return date. The theft must be substantiated by a police report;
d. A politically motivated terrorist incident occurs within thirty (30) days of your scheduled departure date and within a fifty (50) mile radius of the territorial city limits of the foreign city to be visited as shown in your itinerary; and
e. Interruption of a covered trip as a result of: riot or civil disorder for at least forty-eight (48) consecutive hours preventing you from reaching your destination.
a. You or your traveling companion are called to active military duty to provide aid or relief in the event of a natural disaster, or military leave is revoked or reassigned within thirty (30) days of the scheduled departure date, except because of war, the War Powers Act, or disciplinary action. The military leave for the dates of travel must have been approved prior to the effective date.
We will pay a benefit to reimburse you for any of the expenses listed below, up to the maximum limit shown in the schedule of benefits, for covered trips that are interrupted due to any of the unforeseen events listed above:
a. Cancellation penalties, prepaid, nonrefundable trip costs for unused travel arrangements, andb. Additional transportation expenses incurred by you (not to exceed the same class as your original ticket or the cost of economy airfare, less any refunds paid or payable) for travel by the most direct route to:
1. The return destination; or
2. Your destination, or to a place where you can continue your covered trip.
We will reimburse you, up to the Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption maximum amount shown in the schedule of benefits, for the additional cost incurred during the covered trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid, non-refundable travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with you has his/her trip canceled, or interrupted due to any of the unforeseen events shown in the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption section and you do not cancel.