150% of the trip cost
Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for prepaid and non-refundable trip payments if a portion of a trip is missed, or the traveler must return home early due to unforeseen circumstances, including illness, injury, or death.
TRIP CANCELLATION AND INTERRUPTION
Benefit will be provided for loss(es) incurred by the Insured for a covered Trip cancelled up to the date and time of departure or interrupted or delayed after the time and date of departure. A maximum benefit of up to the amount indicated in the Schedule of Benefits to cover certain expenses as listed below which result in the cancellation or interruption of Your Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events:
Medical / Health
a) Any serious Injury, death, or Sickness;
(1) Occurring to You or a Traveling Companion, a Family Member traveling with You, that is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to cancel or interrupt their Trip or which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of Loss preventing your continued participation in the Trip;
(2) Occurring to a Family Member not traveling with the You that is considered life-threatening, as certified by a Physician or they require Your immediate care. Such disability must be so disabling as to reasonably cause a Trip to be canceled or interrupted and must be certified by a Physician;
(3) Occurring to a Business Partner that is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to cancel or interrupt their Trip to assume daily management of the business. Such disability must be certified by a Physician;
(4) Sickness, Injury, death or hospitalization occurring to Your Host at Your Destination. A Physician must certify the Sickness or Injury;
Transportation and Accommodation
a) Financial Default of an airline, Cruise line, Common Carrier or tour operator provided that:
(1) The insurance was purchased within 15 days of Initial Trip Payment; and
(2) Financial Default occurs more than 14 days following an Insured’s effective date for the Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits.
The Insurer will not cover Losses resulting from a Financial Default of any person, organization, agency, or firm that solicited Your travel arrangements to you.
b) mechanical/equipment failure of a Common Carrier that occurs on a scheduled Trip Departure Date and causes complete cessation of Your travel and results in a Loss of 50% of Your Trip length;
c) Strike resulting in complete interruption of travel services at the point of departure or Destination;
a) Inclement Weather, if it causes delay or cancellation of travel.
b) You or a Traveling Companion’s Primary Residence being made Uninhabitable or inaccessible by Natural Disaster, vandalism, or burglary;
c) You or a Traveling Companion’s Destination being made Uninhabitable or Inaccessible by flood, tornado, earthquake, volcanic eruption, fire, wildfire, or blizzard that is due to natural causes;
d) a named hurricane causing cancellation or interruption of travel to Your Destination that is Inaccessible or Uninhabitable. Claims are not payable if a hurricane is foreseeable prior to Your effective date. A hurricane is foreseeable on the date it becomes a named storm. The Insurer will only pay the benefits for Losses occurring within 14 days after the named hurricane makes Your Destination Uninhabitable or Inaccessible.
Political / Violence
a) You or a Traveling Companion are hijacked, quarantined, subpoenaed, or required to serve on a jury;
b) You or a Traveling Companion is called to active military service or military leave is revoked or reassigned;
c) a Terrorist Incident in a City listed on Your itinerary within 30 days of Your scheduled arrival;
a) You or a Traveling Companion is involuntarily terminated or laid off through no fault of his or her own, provided that he or she has been an active employee for the same employer for at least 1 continuous year. Termination must occur following the effective date of coverage. This provision is not applicable to temporary employment, seasonal employment, independent contractors or self-employed persons;
b) Cancel for Work Reasons coverage will be included for these additional Unforeseen events:
(1) You or Traveling Companion is required to work during his/her scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the situation of self-employment, proof of self-employment and a notarized statement confirming that the Insured is unable to travel due to his or her job obligations will be required.
(2) You or Traveling Companion is directly involved in a merger, acquisition, government required product recall, or bankruptcy proceedings and must be currently employed by
the company that is involved in said event;
(3) Your or Traveling Companion’s company is deemed to be unsuitable for business due to burglary, or Natural Disaster and the Insured or Traveling Companion is directly involved as a Key Employee of the disaster recovery team.
This coverage applies only if insurance was purchased within 15 days of Initial Trip Payment.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION OF CLAIM
You must notify Tin Leg within 72 hours or as soon as reasonably possible in the event of a Trip Cancellation or Interruption claim. The Company will not be liable and will not pay for any additional penalty charges incurred that would not have been imposed had You notified the travel supplier within the specified period. If You are unable to provide cancellation notice within the required timeframe, You must provide proof of the circumstance that prevented timely notification.
Trip Interruption Benefits: The Company will reimburse You up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule for Trips that are interrupted due to the Unforeseen events shown above for:
a) Unused portion of non-refundable pre-paid insured Trip Cost; and
b) additional transportation expenses incurred by You, either to the Return Destination; or from the place that You left the Trip to the place that You may rejoin the Trip; or
c) additional transportation expenses incurred by You to reach the original Trip Destination if the Insured is delayed and leaves after the Departure Date.
However, the benefit payable under b) and c) above will not exceed the cost of economy airfare or the same class as the Insured’s original ticket, less any refunds paid or payable, by the most direct route.
Trip Interruption – Return Air Only: The Company will reimburse You up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule for the additional transportation expenses incurred to reach the Return Destination due to one of the Unforeseen events listed in the Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption section. However, the benefit payable will not exceed the cost of economy airfare (or the same class as the Insured’s original ticket) less any refunds paid or payable and taken by the most direct route.
Benefits paid for Trip Interruption – Return Air Only cannot be combined with Trip Interruption Benefits.
SINGLE OCCUPANCY BENEFIT
The Company will reimburse You, up to the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule, for the additional cost incurred during the Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid, non-refundable travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You has his/her Trip canceled or interrupted due to any of the Unforeseen events shown in the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption section and You do not cancel.